—Said no one. Ever.
When you’re on the job site or in the field, having the best tools for the job makes a hard day’s work go better. The same is true when it comes to advancing your career in the skilled trades. Random trivia tip: the great artist (and self-taught engineer) Leonardo da Vinci is credited with the first use of a resume, when he sent a letter to Ludovico Sforza, the ruler of Milan, in 1482.
That was over 500 years ago. (Not exactly the latest, greatest tool for the job, is it?)
While the resume has evolved in form and substance over the years, how it is used has remained remarkably unchanged. Moreover, it’s a tool that was designed primarily for white collar professionals and the industries they serve.
At the core of Surehand’s commitment to improve how hiring gets done in the industrial sector, we are re-imagining the skilled trades resume for the 21st century.
For tradesmen and -women, the ideal resume should be simple to create and keep up-to-date; accessible on the job site or out in the field; and easy to share with prospective employers. For industrial employers, the ideal resume should be complete and accurate; tuned for their specific industry; and make it faster and easier to build their short list of candidates.
The Surehand worker profile is industry-specialized, making it easy for skilled industrial workers to capture and maintain information about their skills, certifications and licenses, training, and work experience in a secure, easy-to-access place. It is standardized, enabling employers to rapidly find and compare candidates, one-to-one or one-to-many. In addition, Surehand independently verifies key attributes in inspectors’ profiles, giving employers more confidence when starting a hiring conversation with prospective candidates.
5 tips to make your Surehand worker profile stand out…
- Be thoughtful about your work preferences. A resume captures where you’ve been. Work preferences tell employers what you want to do next.
- Create a short bio. Give employers a sense of what’s important to you, what makes you tick in your professional (and personal) life.
- Details matter. Primary job responsibilities, qualifications, certifications and licenses, industry codes and standards, and equipment used on the job all improve the relevancy of your profile to employer searches and Job Alerts on Surehand.
- Get verified. Surehand independently verifies industry certifications and training information in worker profiles. Verified profiles rank the highest on employer search result pages.
- Put your best foot forward. Your profile is the first impression you make on employers. A complete, accurate, and up-to-date profile shows hiring managers that you are serious about your success.
Surehand lets workers quickly create, edit, or update their profiles on any Internet-connected device—mobile phone, tablet, or laptop computer. Tradespeople may also use Surehand to securely store and access digital versions of their industry certificates, wallet cards, or other artifacts that might need to be presented to enter a job site or work on a project.
As an added benefit, Surehand automatically reminds workers when an industry certification or license they’ve saved to their profile is coming up for renewal. And should they need to submit a traditional resume to be considered for an open project or position, Surehand features one-click publishing of a cleanly-formatted PDF version of their profile for easy printing or sharing. (No more messing around with word processing software!)
Perhaps the most powerful advantage of the Surehand profile has over the tired old resume is that it is not buried away in some computer file folder. A Surehand profile is “always on,” improving the visibility of our worker users and their skills to hiring managers looking to fill open positions or projects.
It’s time the skilled trades had a better way to resume. We look forward to making it easier for you to land your next, great industrial job.
Stay safe out there…
Working in the trades? Stop searching.
Get matched with skilled trades jobs HIRING NOW!